Friday, June 1, 2012

Watch Best Friends Forever

     I find it difficult to write about things I love because I just end up writing "I love it, it's amazing" over and over. I'm going to try to expand on that a bit, but seriously, I love Best Friends Forever and it's amazing. And yes, it's funny, hilarious even, and real. But also, seriously--just flat out amazing.
     Here's the thing too--this is the show that I wanted to write. I lay awake at night dreaming about a show I could create someday, a show with heart and comedy about amazing women living in the city and trying to make a life in some sort of triarrage situation. Really, I have treatments to that effect. I've written outlines. And maybe I came close to the idea I had in my head, but Lennon Parham and Jessica St. Clair nailed it. I actually went through a 5-second blind rage as I watched everything I was aiming for come alive on the screen. But then the white flash faded and I fell completely in love.
     I have watched the first four episodes at least 6 times each. I watch them on my phone on the subway on the way to work. Then I watch them on my break. And again on the way home. And when I can't sleep I lie in bed and watch them. It doesn't help me sleep, but it sure makes me feel good. I'm watching them again right now. Some people might say I have a problem. Those people can go to hell because damn it, I love it.
     I wonder how they made something so wonderful and so pitch perfect. But then I just accept that Lennon Parham and Jessica St. Clair are way better at comedy and life and being best friends than I'll ever be and I sit back and enjoy it.
     I read (or saw) an interview with Ms Parham and Ms St. Clair and they mentioned that while preparing for the show, they watched this Laverne&Shirley video a lot:
That actually made SO much sense to me. There have been a decent number of comparisons with Laverne&Shirley already, so I won't belabor the point. And I don't really appreciate when new things are just referred to as old things but for now. It's just that they're both magic.
     The show has reportedly been canceled and subsequently my heart broken. If I had the technology, I would make this show in my apartment. Hell, I would just put on the stage show in my apartment. (Hey Lennon and Jessica, can you just put on a stage show once a week? In my apartment? I'll provide snacks!) I'm having trouble processing that the one shiny spot in my television lineup will be gone. It also makes me worry for the future. And not just the future of television, but the future of civilization because this is the type of quality entertainment we should be making and consuming.
     I meant this post to be a simple call to your televisions tonight to turn on NBC at 8pm and watch the best g-d show there is right now. I went a little off track and maybe got a little too creepy with all the gushing lovey adjectives. But seriously guys, watch this show. And if you have a Nielson box, really really watch it. Watch it four times, in all your rooms (I don't know how those work).
     If the conclusion to this story is inevitable; if it is already written in the blood of Jeff Zucker's grandchildren, then I'll take the six episodes we were given and carry them with me and watch them at least once a week to remind myself what happiness is. But if there is even an iota of a chance that we can save it, damn it all, I will do whatever it takes to save it. Tell me what it is, and I'll do it. Sign the petition? Done. Buy the iTunes season pass? Done. Tweet #SaveBFF all the time? Done. Write an embarrassing feeling filled blog post? Done. Please, NBC, don't take it away. Best Friends Forever leads with its heart and it teaches us all how to actually be good friends, and good people, to each other. And it's fucking good, so watch it. Also, it throws in a lot of Michigan / Wolverine references, and I go ape shit for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment