Thursday, November 17, 2011

The N Word

    No, not really.  I am not actually going to write about the N word.  I'm listening to Camp today, and it comes up sometimes.  That's all I really have to say about it.  I just didn't have a good title for this post, so I was trying to shock people just enough to get them to keep reading.
     Or you know what, maybe I will talk about it a little bit.  As I started thinking about not writing about it, I had a few more thoughts on explaining why I wouldn't write about it, which lend themselves to being written about.  The N Word is an offensive word.  That's why we call it The N Word.  I won't use it.  It's not in my vernacular.  Sometimes when I hear it, I'm surprised.  Other times, though, not as much.  For example, when I hear it in music, I'm not shocked.  When I hear someone screaming it down the street, well, I'm slightly taken aback.  When I hear white people say it?  I'm embarrassed.
     I'm not easily offended, even(or especially) by words that are supposed to be offensive.  The C Word is another one.  I don't mind it at all.  At the same time, I know a lot of people do.  If I'm attempting to become friends with someone, I will lead into the use of the word.  For example, I'll say "he described me as pertaining to The C Word."  If their response is "cunty? cuntly?  cuntish? cunteriffic?" then we'll probably be besties.  On the other hand, if they just walk away, then I know it wasn't meant to be.  It's a good boundary test.

No comments:

Post a Comment