Monday, May 16, 2011

When I'm Not Exaggerating

     I enjoy a good hyperbole.  I even appreciate when it goes awry.  Sometimes I hear myself going way too far and I attempt to undershoot it and it ends up not being hyperbole at all.  For example, if it's particularly hot in a room, I'll start to say that it's 86million degrees in there.  As I'm saying it, I decide that 86million just sounds too over the top. 
   "Man, it's like 86 degrees in there!"
   "Oh, is it?  That seems about right.  I have a fan going."
Hyperbole fail.  There's an appropriate over/under to consider when using hyperbole, and a 5 to 10 degree difference is not it!
     On the other end, however, is when I'm very much not using hyperbole.  I am not exaggerating, yet people still assume I am.
    "What did you do this weekend?"
    "Not much.  I stayed in on Saturday."
They think I mean I just didn't go to a party, or that I spent a quiet evening in with pizza and a movie.  No.  I do not mean this.  What I mean is that I spent Saturday assing around.  I ate one meal that consisted of Cheerios and I snacked on Reese's Pieces.  I didn't walk any farther than to my bathroom.  I stayed in my pajamas all day.  I did not shower.  That is what I mean by not doing much and staying in.
     It was about 77 degrees in my room and I did have a fan going.  There was really no need for hyperbole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment