Monday, May 9, 2011

Bothered: A List.

     This is a tricky list, and in fact, I think two lists are necessary to fully contextualize is.  There are certain things I'm bothered by, and then other things that I just don't understand how others can be so bothered by.  The impetus of this dichotomy may be the same force behind the hypocritical list.   I'm not a doctor, and I'm not going to analyze it.  These things are in no particular order.  I'm just putting it out there.  

 
I really don’t get what is bothersome about:
I am really bothered by:
    The Bossypants cover.
    When Will Forte dresses up like Jenna Maroney on 30 Rock.
    Anything gay, including but not limited to marriage, adoption, and equal rights.
    Chaz Bono.
    Burial at Sea.
    Military code names. 
    National / State secrets.
    Most of the things my mother is bothered by.
    The prevalence of Chipotle.
    Hispters.
  
    The way the seats are oriented on the Metro.
    Subpar sitcoms and their long seasons.
    My mother. 
    Broken escalators.
    TMZ, and any subsequent TMZ spin-offs.
    Claims the past was “better.”
    My creepy neighbor.  
    The prevalence of Potbelly Sandwiches.
    The 4th hour of the Today show.  
    Using “common usage” as an excuse for ignorance.  
    Talking about religion at work, specifically using the phrase “Christian name” when you mean proper- or full-name.


 
This isn't really an all inclusive list, and as I started making it I realized I am bothered by a lot more things than I'd like to admit.  I'd like to believe that they are just, reasonable things, but I'm sure I can find enough people  who are not bothered by them at all, and in fact, just the opposite.  The same goes for the things I'm not bothered by side of the list.  Some of these people may even be in my immediate family.  Also, I thought that side of the list would be longer.   

No comments:

Post a Comment