Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Holiday Break Movies

     I only saw two movies over the holiday break.  I'm disappointed in myself.  I'd like to blame my house guest and her unwillingness to see multiple movies in a day, or make a decision as to what to actually do.  But that's my shit, not yours.  So, moving on. 
     On Christmas Day, I saw True Grit.  A fine holiday film if there ever was one.  I've read some mixed reviews about it, but I don't get it- they should all be good.  Sometimes I think people take shots at the Coen Brothers because it seems like the thing to do.  Finding fault in the Coens' work makes people feel superior.   But the people would be wrong.  The Coens are just damn good at what they do.  Anyway, back to True Grit- I like it.  My mother liked it.
     The day after New Year's Day, I saw The Fighter.  It wasn't as funny as I thought it was going to be.  Nah, I didn't actually think it was a comedy.  I did, however, think it looked a little too much like other boxing movies I've seen.  And by other boxing movies, I mean Rocky.  But it wasn't.  I didn't know going in that it was a true story.  They tell you pretty early on, so I guess it's not necessary to know before going in. 
     I don't want to ruin either of these films for those who haven't seen them yet, and I'm not interested in hiding reviews under spoiler tags, mostly because of the amount of cold medicine I'm currently taking.  I think I've lost my sense of taste.  But both of these were good films, worth seeing in the theaters, and before the Oscars are nominated- because then everybody else will want to see them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment