Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Oscars

     The nominations are in!  I didn't get to watch them live on TV, mostly because I was at work.  Luckily this is the type of thing you can find all over the internet.  There's even a special Oscar page
     I'm not surprised by any of the nominations, really.  There are a few folks who were apparently snubbed, and it's a bummer, but there really weren't any people who didn't deserve the nomination.
     I like the Sound Editing and Sound Mixing categories.  I like them because really, who cares?  Other than the people who are nominated, nobody really gives a crap.  It's a nice category, for them.  It's the type of work that largely goes unnoticed.  Good sound editing and sound mixing enhance the film, but it does so in a way that it doesn't (or shouldn't) draw attention to itself.  I'm sure all the films nominated had great sound editing and mixing.  It's also a great category because it lets films like Tron:Legacy be nominated.  It makes me chuckle to think of someone flipping through the discount DVD bin in 5 years and finding Tron:Legacy.  They pick it up and read "Academy Award nominated*..."  They react with "what the hell?  Oh, sound editing.  Sure."  It's a real award, but also, it's kind of fake.  People rarely remember who wins that one. 
     I do not like the Original Song category.  It seems like it was created when there were a lot of musicals so it made sense to recognize the songs.  Now I think they're grasping at straws.  Randy Newman should win, because he's the only person nominated who deserves anything, and Toy Story 3 was great.  The other songs are lame, even though I probably haven't heard them. 
     I like that Toy Story 3 was nominated for best picture, also.  Pixar really knows how to tell a story.  I don't really think it will, or even should, win, but it's nice to know a good story that is well told can earn a nomination- the fact that it's animated and a threequel didn't diminish its heart.  The Academy should just give them the Oscar for best animated feature now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment