Monday, March 28, 2011

Cherry Blossoms and Me

     I maintain indifference towards cherry blossoms.  Here is a picture:

Also, the definition of indifference:

in·dif·fer·ence

[in-dif-er-uhns, -dif-ruhns]
–noun
1.lack of interest or concern.
2.unimportance; little or no concern.
3.the quality or condition of being indifferent.
4.mediocre quality; mediocrity.
 
 I don't love cherry blossoms.  I don't hate cherry blossoms.  I have a lack of interest or concern about them- I am indifferent to them.  I won't go out of my way to avoid them, but I also won't go out of my way to see them.  Most people who know me would not think to ask me questions about them; they know they would be met with a blank indifferent stare.
     What I do have a deep hatred of is festivals and parades.  There are few things I would over look my hatred of festivals for; I will not overlook my hatred of festivals for something I am indifferent about, at best.   For example, my love of beer would help me overlook my disdain of festivals and I would attend a Beer or Octoberfest.  However, I will not be going to the National Cherry Blossom Festival.  The festival hatred matched with the cherry blossom indifference would just create a miserable time for me and the poor soul who went with me.  
     In stark contrast, my mother loves both cherry blossoms and festivals.  This would be the perfect event for her.  Since she lives hundred of miles away, however, she has sent me several requests asking every question she can think of about cherry blossoms, the festival, the weather, and requests for photos.  I have no answers to her questions on top of the fact that I has thought my mother was one of those aforementioned people who knew me
     She wanted pictures of the cherry blossoms.  She didn't say this part, but I assume she would want a picture with both me and the cherry blossom.  This is just not going to happen.  This would involve me going out of my way to a place I don't want to go with a camera I don't own and with people who also don't want to be there to take out of focus pictures.  Seriously, Mom, there are pictures on the internet and they are much better than anything I could take.  I could take a blurry picture with my phone of me giving a cherry blossom the finger.  
     It is the frustration with these incessant emails that have led others to believe I actually now hate cherry blossoms.  I can understand where they're coming from based on the story but I maintain I am still indifferent; I am not going to the cherry blossom festival to take blurry cell phone photos of trees and flowers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment