Thursday, March 31, 2011

Committing to the Moment

     My improv teacher gave me a note yesterday- try to emotionally commit to the moment.  I tend to pull back and don't become emotionally invested in the scene.  I took his note well, but I was also thinking "ah, sir, this is not exclusive to improv."
     Emotions are hard.  I don't like them; I don't like having them or dealing with them.  I don't know if this is normal or not, but I was brought up with the conceit that what people called emotions were a result of something else, usually hormones.  Any display of emotions, and by that I mean a hint of an expression indicating something other than complacency, was met with a swift kick and immediate quarantine to my room.  Expressing things was not part of Melchert guidebook for growing up.
     Emotionally stunted is one way to look at it, but I don't like to be that harsh when it comes to judging my childhood.  We just weren't expressy people.  Now, I have approximately two emotions- angry and really pissed.  You can't build a scene around those two emotions, and it rarely makes sense to react to every single thing that way.  Yesterday, I seemed pissed at everything, until I couldn't be mad anymore so I pulled away.
     Improv: it's not just about comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment