Friday, December 23, 2011

Merry Christmas, Dammit.

     Merry Christmas Eve Eve.  This year is my first Christmas in New York, so I'm spending it in Philadelphia.  I have up on traditions a long time ago; now my tradition is doing something different every year.  I'm looking forward to Philadelphia.  I assume it will be a winter wonderland, even though New York isn't yet a winter wonderland and we're north of Philly.  I still believe some magical will happen, just because it's Christmas.
     I walk a find line between Christmas curmudgeon and  the opposite of that.  It's like being bipolar for Christmas.  I like the candy, I think the trees are pretty, and I enjoy Christmas episodes and movies.  I'll even tolerate the gift giving.  I even went into Macy's just to see the damned decorations and I suffered through the hell that was the tree lighting, just to try to capture the magic.  Oh, I enjoy Christmas music too.  Most of it, anyway.  So I guess I'm not really that curmudgeonly when it comes to Christmas.  I guess I really do like it.  But I don't love it.  That's where I put my foot down.
     This year, I'm looking forward to getting wine drunk with my friend Jen and her dog Dora, and the rest of the family I don't know but who are being kind enough to let me spend Christmas with them.  And then some Chinese food.  Merry Christmas, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment