Friday, July 15, 2011

Harry Potter and The Terrible Cocaine Habbit

     I'm not qualified to write about Harry Potter at all.  I've seen the covers of the books and I've only seen one of the movies.  Rather than reviewing Harry Potter, I'm reviewing the reviews of Harry Potter.
     They're everywhere!  I get that this is most important thing to happen ever in the history of time, but really, there is not one place you can go and not hear about it.  The news radio station I listen to had interviews with people who had seen last nights midnight premiere.  It was 5:30 in the morning, and this was the biggest news story of the morning.
     My favorite astrophysicist, Neil de Grasse Tyson, tweeted about it.  Perhaps he was at last week's New York City premiere, or perhaps he likes midnight showings since it's when he'd be working anyway.  I'm not sure.
     Roger Ebert had a very poignant review of it yesterday.  According to Mary, his spoilers were abound, just kind of hidden between the lines. 
     Ultimately, I don't really care.  But I have been struck by two things when thinking about this.  1.  I feel like I already know what happens.  I'm one of the last people who would go searching for Harry Potter information, and yet, I bet I could piece together the film.  2.  There's a sense of premiere elitism.  And it becomes a vicious cycle.  People who are huge fans really want to see it on its first night.  People who are just casual fans are forced to see it on its first night, or at least first weekend, so they won't be shunned or spoiled.  There's an air of superiority surrounding the idea of seeing it right away.  By the third weekend, if you haven't seen it yet, someone will all out spoil it for you, probably out of spite.
     I would like to make it clear that I have nothing against Harry Potter.  I don't really get it, but that's ok.  It was never meant for me.  From what I understand the stories are all wonderful and they are well told and the movies were all pretty well done.  Well, kudos to the franchise.  It's nice a generation has a kitchy nerd thing to hang on to, and that there are so many choices for Harry Potter themed parties.  I would just be lost if I ever got invited to one.
      My only point is that I just think it's a little unfair that we are being so over-saturated with it.  If you were a really big fan and had read all of the books and seen all of the movies, but maybe your sister was getting married this weekend, so you couldn't possibly get to the theater to see it, you might some how be considered less of a fan.  And then on Monday, while your sister is seriously regretting her life decision, you'd be casually flipping through channels and accidentally stop on the local news.  They'd have a story about "the end of an era" and the lead in would be "By now, everyone knows what happens.  Good triumphs over evil and Harry Potter becomes the King of the Universe."  You'd be stunned and hurt.  And possibly really confused as to why that wasn't in the book.   (I don't know what was in the book.)  Artistic license your ass.
      I've gotten carried away, but the point is, the event of the movie has become bigger than the movie itself.  And I just hope that people who really want to enjoy the film organically are able to do so.   

No comments:

Post a Comment