Monday, July 25, 2011

Louie: A Review.

     It's fucking brilliant.  I love it. 
     I'm one of those bitches who doesn't have cable.  It's not out of principle, but simply an affordability versus uncompromising roommate situation.  Anyway, the fact that I don't have cable means I have to pay extra attention to Hulu to see the most recent episode of Louie.  When the Season 2 premier finally became available, I cleared my day.  (I cleared a half hour.  The show is only a half hour long.)
     The first season was really good.  I would recommend it to everyone.  I was familiar with Louis C.K.'s comedy so I was going in with open arms, and I fully embraced it.  It's a very real yet still hilarious style of comedy.  He says shit like it is, unapologetically.  The style of the show is half his act, and half sitcom style.  I use the term half pretty loosely.  Some of it is his act, performed at the Comedy Cellar, and some of it is in the style of a sitcom.  I've read reviews that compare it to early Seinfeld episodes, but to them I say "fuck you, Seinfeld was never this awesome." 
     Louis C.K. edits his own show.  I think that's fucking awesome.
     If you haven't seen the season 2 premier yet, I don't want to spoil it for you, so the rest of the review will be under here:
Episode Review
The episode opens with Louie brushing his 5-year-old's teeth. It's a bit adorable. She starts talking in her cute 5-year-old voice. And what she says is adorably hurtful, the best being "I love Mommy more than you, so I like it at her place better. I like it here too though. I just like it there better." Louie just keeps brushing. He tells her to spit and rinse and on her way out of the bathroom, he flips her off. That's about right. Kids are assholes. Fuck you little girl.

His nine-year-old is good at stuff, but his five-year-old is shitty at things. This kind of pisses him off. He makes an awesome dinner for his kids; he gives his older kid a mango pop. The younger one gets upset and he tries to explain how life just isn't fair sometimes. It's a valiant effort, but the message isn't getting through. He ends it perfectly by giving the younger daughter candy and telling her to share with her sister.

Enter Louie's sister Gretchen (I think). She's about 7 months pregnant. She hates his ex-wife and they spend some time ex-wife bashing. "No, stop." "But really keep going, right?"

In the middle of the night, Gretchen starts screaming a horrible scream. Louie is paralyzed by fear; he doesn't know what to do. There's knocking at the door. His neighbors are concerned and try to help. He's resistant, but eventually has no choice but to give in. There's a lot of screaming, a lot of chaos, and it turns out it's just gas. "Dude." he says to his sister after they've make a big to-do and gotten every doctor in the ER to help them.

He's made a new friend and he's grateful for his neighbors. "You shouldn't let your sister and her baby die because you are weird with strangers." Ah, so true.

     Sounds awesome, right?  It is.  Watch this show.  And then give it a bunch of awards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment