Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Difference of Opinion: A List.

As I mentioned yesterday, there are a decent number of things most people like that I do not.  I thought we were all entitled to our opinions, however, these dislikes generally cause others to call me names.  A short list:

Parades.   There's too much ado for not a lot to do.  I don't get it.  I don't like being in them and I don't like watching them. 

Zoos.  I'm not overly enthusiastic about wild animals, and then there's all the families. 

Pesto.  It's apparently the condiment to end all condiments.  I also don't like condiments very much, or basil.

Everything Bagels.  There's just too much going on. 

Honey.  First, it's a condiment, so it's already not making a good impression.  Then it's sticky and I just don't like the flavor.

This list could get pretty food dominated pretty fast, so I'll stop at those three. 

Carnivals.  Too many people and all the rides go in circles.  I vomit.

Strawberry Picking.  Also apple picking.  I don't really like any kind of fruit or vegetable picking, but these two come up frequently as fun quaint activities.  I disagree on both those counts. 

Summer.  It's the worst of the four seasons.  People always want to go to the beach (see below).  And there is a lot of pressure to wear shorts in public, and I don't do that. 

The Beach.  I don't like the sand, the people, the sun, or the water.  I don't care for the saltiness- and even on fresh-water beaches, I can't over-come the initial ickyness of walking in the water before it gets too deep, plus those are usually really cold, and pretty rocky.  I've been to many beaches, because other people like to go there.  I prefer my swimming to take place in a pool, and I prefer my lounging to take place indoors, with a TV in front of me.  This is the one that most people give up on me for.

The list could go on, but I said it would be a short list.  And I can usually find a supporter or two for my other dislikes.  Those are just the things that cause me to spend large chunks of my days alone.  And sad.  But not as sad as I'd be if I were watching a parade in a beach-side zoo while eating an everything bagel with a pesto and honey schmear in the middle of summer just before an afternoon of strawberry picking and carnival rides.   That's the sort of thing that could drive me insane, like Meg Ryan's character at the George V in French Kiss.  Yes, I would carry around a bell and bang on it.  Oddly enough, I don't dislike bells. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment