Friday, January 20, 2012

A Bit Serendipitous

I went on a search yesterday for this song:



And instead I found this song:



This morning I read that Etta James had passed. Unfortunately I laughed at the "Etta James is dead, at last" joke.*  I was a little ashamed. But moving on--I found it interesteing that I had actually spent the evening listening to her, unknowingly, in an attempt to find another song. I did end up making an entire playlist of songs titled "Coffee and Cigarettes" or "Cigarettes and Coffee." A few more samples:



I find it interesting that the Jimmy Eat World song references Otis Redding's Greatest Hits, of which one was "Cigarettes & Coffee," that song covered by Etta James.

Then there's this song (the video has an ad at its beginning-skip that shit) by Michelle Featherstone:

 

Those images, of course, from here:


If you haven't, I recommend checking out the film from 2003, Coffee and Cigarettes. Ah, a celebration of vices.

* courtesy of the ImprovAsylum Twitter feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment