Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Gift of Giving

     Pardon me, I just threw up a little.  I mean, sure, giving is great.  It makes a person feel good.  But isn't part of that good feeling wrapped up in wondering if you're going to get something just as awesome as what you gave?  No, it's not?  It's just in the giving?  Ok then.  Never mind.  I really enjoy giving. 
     For serious, I really do think giving is cool.  Howevs, I decided to opt out of Christmas giving this year.  It takes the joy away when you have to give to someone.  One year, many years ago, college roommates decided we should have a gift exchange.  It was excruciating.   I think one of them might have been named Jen.  I think the one named Jen got me and the other female roommate baskets with lotions and soaps.  Ah yes, truly from the heart.  Not enough time to vomit in a paper bag and wrap it with a bow?  Come on!  I didn't enjoy receiving it, so there's pretty much no way she enjoyed giving it.
     I have a few family members whose birthdays fall near the Christmas holiday.  All the more reason to focus on the birthday, I say.  Of course, I realize that just because I have opted out of Christmas giving, doesn't mean everyone I know has opted out.  I do my best to make it known so there are no obligatory presents.  As stated above, I'd rather just have a bag of vomit than a poorly thought out dime-store gift.  However, there are a few folks who just love giving so much, they get me awesome things and wrap them in a bow and present them to me while saying "happy whatever-the-hell you believe!"  And I rip that package open like a homeless man opening a new crack pipe, and it's perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment