Thursday, February 17, 2011

Crack as a Social Drug

     I realize this will post a few days after the news was relevant, but I feel the need to go after it anyway.  I don't like to pay attention to Charlie Sheen, but sometimes, you can't avoid it.  So that was the situation- I was at the gym with no power to change the channel of the 4 TVs in front of me, and Charlie Sheen's interview came on.
     Another point I'd like to make is that I know virtually nothing about drugs.  I don't really know the effects different drugs have on a person, the different forms of drugs, the delivery methods, et al.  I had to Google search slang terms for crystal meth for a short script I wrote.  I get all my information about drugs from television and movies, and of course from Google.
     So, those things in perspective: I don't pay attention to Charlie Sheen and I don't understand drugs.  He had this to say in his interview:
Stay away from the crack, which I think is pretty good advice ... unless you can manage it socially ... if you can manage it socially, then go for it, but not a lot of people can. 

The interviewer (Dan Patrick) asked Charlie if he thought he could handle it socially, and Charlie admits that yes he did, but it blew up in his face.
     You know what types of things blow up in my face, Charlie?  When I try to cook too many dishes at once and I end up ruining them all.  Or when I try to make plans with multiple people on the same day and the timing doesn't work out and they all find me out and I look like a jerk for having to stand someone up.  Managing crack socially?  That blew up in your face?  Of course it did.  It's fucking crack. 
     According to Wikipedia (the filters at work blocked www.cocaine.org), crack cocaine is the freebase form of cocaine that can be smoked. It may also be termed rock, hard, iron, cavvy, base, or just crack.  So I'm to believe that some people are able to just hang out with a few friends and smoke a little bit of crack socially?  Like how college kids smoke clove cigarettes when they're drinking with their friends, but are otherwise totally against smoking?  Crack is like that, Charlie?  The strong ones are able to limit  their usage to  purely social gatherings, like Super Bowl parties and bar mitzvahs, but they stay clean when they're at work and near their families.  Your problem is that you weren't able to handle it socially, so when it "blew up in your face" and started affecting your work, you wore some sort of crack patch and went through the three steps in about 2 days and now you're magically ready and see the errors of your ways? 
     According to later on in the Wikipedia article, that's not really how crack works.   I've heard of social drugs before, and I kind of understand the idea.  Usually people talk about things like marijuana, opiates maybe, possibly ecstasy.   Again, I don't know a lot about drugs, but I'm thinking of things I've heard that when you put the word baby after it, doesn't actually mean anything.  Pot-baby?  Not a thing.  Opiate-baby?  Nope.  Ecstasy-baby?  Nada.  Crack-baby?  Oh, that's some shit man. 
     People don't do crack socially.  That's messed up, Charlie Sheen.  If the drugs don't kill you, I hope Chuck Lorre does, in a group murder-suicide type ordeal.  Mostly, I hope your show gets canceled.

No comments:

Post a Comment