Monday, February 14, 2011

What Dreams May Come Part II

     Sometimes I dream that I have woken up, gotten out of bed, and gotten ready for work.  I take a shower, I get dressed, and I make coffee.  I have a wonderful morning.  The idea sinks pretty far into my brain.  And then the alarm goes off,  I'm startled awake, my eyes pop open, and I reale I am still in bed, having probably slept in, and there is no coffee.  That is depressing. 
     It also seems to be a sneaky, pointless dream.  When I start to think about how powerful our subconsciouses are and what mysteries can exist within dreams, I start to believe mine is making fun of me.  It's taunting me.  It's not even taking bits from the past and weaving them into my morning experience.  It's not giving me a different life, with maybe a husband and kids and a large ranch somewhere in the middle of the country.  Or a studio apartment in NYC where I'm a bit poor but living my dream.  It's my exact house.  I'm in my exact pajamas.  I'm doing things as they are normally done.  Hell, even the dishes in the sink are the same ones that were there the night before.  It's just being mean.  My subconscious wants to show me how much better mornings would be if I woke up, but not enough to just wake me the hell up.
     This is also a bit of a recurring dream, except that it's not exactly the same each time.  The idea is the same though- I've gotten up and started my day.  But the details are different, because they seem to actually reflect the state of things at the time.  The season is correct, the city I'm in is correct; all of the details are in their place.  It's like I've been incepted with the idea of being a morning person.  But then the dream never comes true, because I don't wake up in time.  Dun-dun-dun. 

1 comment:

  1. And the top keeps spinning...


    I have that dream too. But I only have it after I've waken up, not gotten up, and fallen back asleep. The "what you should have done ten minutes ago" dream. It's tricksy and I too hate it.

    ReplyDelete