Monday, August 8, 2011

Death Cab for Cutie in Concert: A Review.

     Listening to The Sound of Settling live is anything but settling.  Death Cab for Cutie has been my favorite band for years, and I was elated to be able to catch them as they came through the District area in support of their new album Codes and Keys.  
     Frightened Rabbit opened the show, and it was great.  I just recently came into Frightened Rabbit, a Scottish band, from Scotland, replete with sexy brogue.  They play wonderful music, and I inebriatedly yelled out that I would have their babies.  We were on the lawn, so they didn't hear me.  I'm pretty sure that was the only thing standing in our way.
     Death Cab wowed the crowd.  They have such a wonderful catalog and when played live, the music gets in your soul.  It was as though the drums and bass traveled through the ground and into my body.  I could feel it.  It was amazing. When I was a kid my dad used to dismiss the idea of concerts saying if he wanted to hear the music, he would just put on the album. He didn't get it.  It's not the same.  There's something transplendent about singing the "bad-da-ba-da-ba-ba"s of Soul Meets Body with 20,000 other people.
     It was unbelievably hot, and Ben Gibbard was feeling it.  He declared it had officially gone from hot to "balls hot."  Indeed, it had.  Still, it was totally worth it. The air was moist, both with humidity and the awesome sweat of a great rock&roll show.

 

For a little taste:


No comments:

Post a Comment