Thursday, August 11, 2011

Synecdoche, New York: A Quasi-Review

     Synecdoche, New York is written by Charlie Kaufman.  Mary said I would love it or I would hate it.  I wanted to be indifferent to it, but since love and hate are my only two options, I choose love.  It is an incredibly put-together movie.  I mean that to say that I find how this movie was put together to be incredible.
     I admit I had to look up the definition of the word synecdoche.  But knowing what that word meant really helped me understand the movie and what was going on and the motivation behind everything.  There are plenty of pieces that are non-linear, as we can expect from any Charlie Kaufman film.  It's funny and heart-breaking, at the exact same time.
     I watched the trailer, and it was compelled to watch the movie again.  I already mailed it back though, and it's over 2 hours, so I probably won't.  But I really did like it in that way one loves Charlie Kaufman movies.  They tend to feel bigger than everything else.  I suppose that's why it was called "A Miracle Movie." 





P.S. So you don't have to go searching on your own:

Synecdoche (play /sɪˈnɛkdəkiː/; from Greek synekdoche (συνεκδοχή), meaning "simultaneous understanding") is a figure of speech[1] in which a term is used in one of the following ways:

Part of something is used to refer to the whole thing (pars pro toto), or
A thing (a "whole") is used to refer to part of it (totum pro parte), or
A specific class of thing is used to refer to a larger, more general class, or
A general class of thing is used to refer to a smaller, more specific class, or
A material is used to refer to an object composed of that material, or
A container is used to refer to its contents.

No comments:

Post a Comment