Friday, April 15, 2011

Who Needs Sleep?

     Turns out, I need sleep.   I don't like to admit it and when I start to overextend myself I assume sleep can be the first thing to go.  I try to live two lives and often there are just not enough hours in the day for that.  This is where the Evie principle comes in, but I have yet to perfect the stoppage of time.
     There are just so many wonderful things that can be done in a day.  There are also just things that need to get done in a day.  My to-do list for today involves going to the gym, writing, and doing laundry.  I'd also like to go to an improv show tonight and I was invited out to Happy Hour with a few friends.  Plus, I found out this morning that today is Record Store Day.  I want to participate in all of those things.  Of course, since it's a Friday, I also need to be at my job. 
     8 hour work day + 1 hour lunch break + 45 minute commute + 1 hour gym session + 1 hour Record Store Day shopping + 3 hour writing/laundry session + 3 hour Happy Hour socializing + 2 hour improv show = 19 hours and 45 minutes.  Oh.  No problem.  There are, after all, 24 hours in a day.  I would still have 4 hours and 15 minutes of free time.  That's good, because I really want to read Bossypants.  Sleep and meals?  No, I'll give those up. 
     I do continue to believe in the powers of coffee.  That definitely helps, at least until I get an ulcer.  And don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about all of these things there are to do.  It was just a few months ago I was lamenting about being a recluse and not doing a damn thing.  My simple point is that I want to do all of these things.  I attempt to do these things and I sacrifice sleep.  I become reminiscent of college and Navy days when sleep was practically a luxury; our mantra was "sleep when you're dead."  I feel like there was a tag line before that, like "study hard" or "life is short," but what I remember is "sleep when you're dead."
     I was shockingly aware of my alarm clock this morning.  5:15 am.  My first thought was "why is it 5:15?  Why is this going off at 5:15?"  My snooze button has been renamed the you've-got-to-be-kidding-me button.  Its only purpose is to see if I can find it.  I do not wake up when my alarm goes off.  So the answer is, I need sleep.  It's ok, I actually love sleep, so it's not a difficult transition.  I now just have to convince my mind of what my body already knows: sleep is good and you can always do the laundry later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment